About us

 

 

 

 

The parish of Harbertonford was constituted in 1859, carved out of the neighbouring parish of Harberton. The Parish Church of St Peter was constructed at that date, designed by J Nottidge. The majority of its funding was donated by one person, Mrs Thomascene Anthony of Great Englebourne, who gave £2,000 – equivalent to some £230,000 today. 

 

Later, parishioners raised enough to pay for the installation of an organ to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887. It’s tucked away on the right of the picture opposite. Constructed from stone, the church has a spire with a single bell. The chancel windows are stained glass. 

 

The church runs a monthly coffee morning in the village hall on the third Tuesday of every month, hosts an annual summer St Peter’s Fair in the grounds of the church itself and sets out a sumptuous spread to celebrate the autumn harvest festival. The children from our village school, Harbertonford C of E Primary School, use the church throughout the year – if you visit, look out for what they have written about it! 

Christmas-tide sees the usual festival services and the local community celebrates with carols around the village Christmas tree, complete with mulled wine and mince pies. 

 

When the church was built, the village of Harbertonford was a thriving, industrial community with a mill (then operating as a corn and starch mill – it later reverted to its original function as a woollen mill and went on making, principally, serge blankets until the 1950s) and a manufacturer of shovels and reaping hooks! It boasted three shops and no less than four pubs – one of which, the Maltster’s Arms, brewed its own beer. It must have been thirsty work! 

 

 

Churchwardens: Hazel Willis and Frances Harvey

 

Parish Safeguarding Representative: Hazel Willis Tel: 01803 732672

 

 

Email: harbertonford@threeriversmissioncommunity.org.uk

 

All our churches can be found on the Church of England website: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/