About us

 

There has been a Christian church in Harberton since 1100. The current building, featured in Simon Jenkins' "1000 Best Churches", dates from the C15th. The Norman "girdle" font is one of only 12 in Devon; the rood screen's original wooden panels, replaced with metal ones in Victorian times, are still on display; the octagonal pulpit is outstanding, with rich foliate decoration and German statues and there is a beautifully carved sedilia. The marble reredos and the surrounding red and gold east wall hangings give a wonderfully warm glow to the sanctuary. Every other Sunday during a month there is a service of Holy Communion on the alternate Sundays there is a service of Morning Prayer lead by our Reader or trained members of the Mission Community. There is also a Holy Communion Service every week at 9.30am on a Wednesday.  We are fortunate to have two organists and the Village Choir sings on special occasions. The average Sunday attendance is 16, which increases significantly at Festivals, like Harvest Thanksgiving, when a lunch takes place in the church. Our regular fund-raising activities, like collections at services and proceeds from our annual Strawberry Fair, pay our diocesan share and normal outgoings.. A Friends of St. Andrew's Scheme has been running for a while and this, together with church repair fundraising events, will support wider fundraising. In the last few years this fundraising enabled work to be done on the very lovely porch but we are faced with major works to be carried out on the roof and the tower, and plenty more. We have been able to get the church bells ringing again, and the clock is being repaired, and the boiler replaced. Some very dedicated and valued volunteers look after the basic building maintenance and extensive churchyard. We are involved with Mission Community activities - joint services, the Emmaus Group and the Mothers' Union. We share a parish magazine with St. Peter's Harbertonford. Harberton nestles in the beautiful South Hams just off the A381 Newton Abbot to Kingsbridge/Dartmouth road, 3 miles south of Totnes, a unique town on the Dart with a castle and many individual shops. The village is fortunate to have an excellent pub in the Square and a good parish hall with a playing field, with many activities centred in both. In Harbertonford (2 miles) there is a Church school, a garage and a post office. The village is felt to be a very special place in which to live.

Churchwardens: Edwina Hookway and Alicia Stolliday

email: harberton@threeriversmissioncommunity.org.uk

All our churches can be found on the Church of England website: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/


St Andrew, Harberton
Webpage icon Breakfast Church - November
Webpage icon St Andrew's Church, Harberton Community Fund
Webpage icon Data Protection
Webpage icon Harberton and Harbertonford History Society
Webpage icon St Andrew's Church, Harberton Community Fund
Webpage icon The Parish Giving Scheme
Webpage icon Harberton Village